Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Kippy's beautiful Christmas gift

Several months ago, I received a video from my sister-in-law of two cousins who donated their hair. I mentioned it to Kippy since her long hair was getting more and more difficult to manage and she was not in favor of it. She loved her long hair.
Just before Thanksgiving, Kippy asked me how much would have to be cut off to donate her hair. I did some research and found that the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program required 8 inches. This program makes free wigs for women who have lost their hair to cancer.
We got out a ruler and showed her what 8 inches would look like. Once she saw that she could still have hair to her shoulders, Kippy changed her mind. She said it was something she wanted to do, "because if I had cancer and didn't have any hair, I would want someone to give me their hair."
She said it would be her Christmas present and this morning, she came down to my office with her hair in pony tails and asked if today could be the day she donated her hair.
I told her of course! After school, I took her to the mall and tried to get into Cost Cutters, but there was a 2 hour wait. Kippy was so deflated. I decided to see if we could get a walk-in at Regis and they had room.
Kippy's frown turned upside-down and she was elated. I asked her if she was nervous and confidently said, "No."
I am so proud of you, baby girl!

6 comments:

Lori said...

Her hair is beautiful...and so is your baby girl....inside and out!!

Heather said...

Darling!!! And good for here!

the mom~ said...

She is beautiful! What a wonderful thing to do!

Kristy said...

Noah said "Wow! She looks SO cute!!" & she sure does! What a special thing to do! Great job Angelique!!

Mom said...

She's even more good looking with shorter hair!!
How heart warming :o)

Charlene said...

she is beautiful and what a beautiful example she is to others!