Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cute? No - it's EVIL!!

I know what you are thinking... "awww, look at that cute deer", but don't let those spots fool you. It is pure evil! Check out the handiwork that "bambi" has been lavishing on my tender young plants & flowers. This flowerbed was just newly created in early August. I planted dwarf's goat's beard, various hosta's, coral bells, phlox, astilbe, roses & chelone. The plants were beginning to flower and flourish.

Now look what that evil creature has done! Hosta plants are nearly gone...
The beautiful hot pink flowers of the chelone are no more...

I am wondering if anything will be left after a few more nights of "bambi" dining on my plants! I complained to my knight-in-shining-armor and since he couldn't shot-gun the evil creature, he did the next best thing and peed all over my flowerbed. Seriously! He said it would repel the deer, but I think he just wanted to have an excuse to go outside. Now I'll have to think twice about picking any of my flowers!
For those of you in the know, is there any hope for my plants? Will they come back after the brutal attack?

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

Sweet, I'll send my boys over to ward off Bambi too, they love peeing outside! :)
Sorry, no help on how to keep them out other than to kill them...

Heather said...

My grandma used to feel that same way about the deer that ate all of her beautiful flower too. She'd plant hundreds of bulbs, wait and wait for them to bloom and then Bambi would come and bite off all the heads of the flowers just as they were about to bloom. ARGHHH!!!! I've heard that human hair works too, so sprinkle hair from haircuts out there too.

Lori said...

Well, other than what you're doing I guess...get a dog. It works great. No deer in my yard. :)