Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A tiny little note

Early this morning, before school, Kippy came down to my office and handed me a teeny-tiny little folded up note.  It was the size of a postage stamp.  I asked her what it was and she said, very matter-of-factly, "It's my birthday wish list.", and turned around and left. I was rather taken aback and paused for a moment before I opened it up.

But first let me back up a bit. You need to know that our family doesn't do birthday wish lists.  There just hasn't ever been a need.  My thought is "you get what you get and should be grateful about it."  The only exception is we do ask for Wish Lists at Christmas time.  This is because extended family members want some ideas, plus Steve & I are frequently stumped on what to get the girls.  It cracks me up that Kippy has put together this birthday list when her 12th birthday is almost two weeks away.  However, since this year is a friend-birthday-party year (celebrated every other year), we had already made and sent out the invites on Sunday.  We have even put together the decorations and birthday favors for her 8 friends she invited to her "Mustache Bash".  For the record, this is the first birthday party I have ever had a plan together this far in advance - yeah, me!! So, needless to say, Kippy's 12th birthday has been a hot topic of conversation.

I unfolded the tiny little note and was amused by the long, long list Kippy put together.  I love her handwriting and how the list started out with small and reasonable requests and then got CRAZY with the iPOD touch taking over in capitols with emphasis and pleading.  The one that really caught my eye was "Inheritance".  I was completely lost on this one.  Does she want to see our Will? What the heck??  Since Kippy had already left my office after handing me her note, I called out to her.  "What do you mean by Inheritance?"  She yelled back downstairs explaining, "It's the 4th book in the Eragon series."  Oh, good to know.  Now I feel dumb.  I love the last sentence, "Come on, I don't even care if I get it on my birthday." Which is a good thing, because with a list this long, there is room for lots of disappointment.

1 comment:

Lori said...

hahahahaaaa...I love her list. She is one smart cookie!!