Monday, January 3, 2011

A New year and a New theme

Last year (2010) was the first time I picked a theme for the year and I felt like it went pretty well. Not perfect, but I certainly had something to strive for and felt like I hit the mark more than once. It also didn't leave me feeling disappointed in myself like previous New Year's resolutions have. My theme was CLEAN and I managed to work on cleaning up some of the negative things my inner critic (Mic) chirps about in my head - I still have a ways to go, but at least I recognize that Mic is a whack-a-doo {mostly}; I cleaned up a lot of what I had been putting in my mouth, resulting in more energy and better fitting clothes; I cleaned up my act and reached several personal bests in races I had entered; I cleaned out my horrible, dark, scary crap-room and transformed it into a cheery, happy place; Most of all, I hope that I improved as a person, wife, mother, daughter and friend in 2010.

Which now brings me to the new one-word theme for 2011. I thought about this a lot and finally decided that my new theme in 2011 would be POWER.

No, I am not going to work on becoming a body builder, although I greatly admire the dedication it takes to become one. The power I am striving for is related to emPOWERment, feeling POWERful internally, and reducing the feeling of POWERlessness. I like the definition I found online, because I think it has a broad application.

pow·er (pour)n.
The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.

I can always work on improving my performance in so many aspects of my life. So far, I have made a couple of steps toward this theme.

  1. I joined Phatty Natties 6 week weightloss Challenge today. First, because I have felt like sugar has taken over my life. Second, I want to gain back the balance of fitness and nutrition that have slipped in the past several months. I hope to feel more powerful physically and emotionally and in some ways, just accepting the Challenge does that.
  2. I signed up for a self defense class for women called IMPACT, offered at UND in March. I'm not sure I am brave enough to confront and share some of my past baggage, so this is a huge step for me, but I really feel like it will be a way to give my self-confidence the boost needed to make me feel more empowered and assertive.

I hope to be mindful of incorporating POWER as my mantra and theme in 2011 and will try to share some of the successes and challenges I encounter.

Happy New YEAR! Share any New Year's resolutions, mantras or themes that you have.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Power is a good one. I think the definition hits it on the head. We could all use a bit more effectiveness. You continually inspire me. Thanks for being my friend.

Kathy said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your journey of Clean through 2010 and I look forward to watching you kick Powers butt in 2011. Thanks for sharing. It is by writing things down and making them a goal that they become reality. You truly are an inspiration.

Heather said...

I love your choice of words. You do a really good job of keeping your word at the forefront of your life and utilizing it in making decisions and improvements! You are an inspiration to me as well. I love you cleaned up mic and although I already think that you are powerful, I look forward to hearing about your progress and being a part of your journey this year. Love you.