Saturday, January 29, 2011

Conversation with Kippy

Last night, Kippy and went to a girl scouts' cookie kick-off together and afterwords, we went grocery shopping together. Kippy was particularly helpful during the rather boring event of shopping. She used my cellphone to call Steve to check to see if there was anything on the list beside the fridge that I forgot to bring with; she was patient; she was cheerful. I had to check a couple times to make sure it was my kid!

When we finally made our way to the check out line, which was long, Kippy asked, "Mom, can I get some tic-tacs?"

I thought back on how pleasant she had been & quickly said, "Sure."

Kippy then asked, "Should I get the orange ones or the mint ones?"

I shrugged my shoulders, saying, "Doesn't matter to me. I think the mint flavor freshens my breath more."

Kippy immediately said, "Then I'll get the orange."

I didn't think anything of it. Kippy grabbed the orange tic-tacs and several minutes later told me, "Abby always asks my opinion and then picks the opposite of what I say."

I thought about this a second, realizing that Kippy was giving me the exact same treatment and replied, "Wow. It must make you feel pretty powerful to know that your opinion influences Abby's decision & choices."

Kippy paused a minute or so and then replaced the orange tic-tacs with the mint flavored ones saying, "I think the mint flavor freshens my breath more too."

I kept my thoughts to myself, but was glad to see that Kippy ended up making the choice she really wanted. Maybe next time Abby tries to jedi-mind-trick her, Kippy will remember her own power.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Such a wise mama-bear you are. Kippy will most likely remember that conversation for a while and use her new power for good and not evil :)

Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing your story. A friendly reminder that we are teaching our children every minute of every day.