Saturday, February 25, 2012

The 15 minute table runner

No joke.  15 minutes (maybe less) no cutting involved and only a minor amount of sewing!  My sister-chic, Lori, introduced the concept when we were visiting her house last weekend for our annual sister-weekend.  We whipped up 2 beautiful table runners in less than 30 minutes.  I couldn't wait to make one of my own.
The ingredients are really easy:  1/3 yard of fabric as the primary fabric (the fabric in the center) , plus 1/2 yard of a secondary/complimentary fabric (the fabric on the outside), plus 2 large buttons.  Heather helped me choose this fabric at our local Ben Franklin.  I was looking for something bright and "Spring-like".

Sew two long seems making a long rectangle and press the tube so that the primary fabric (peace sign print) is edged by the secondary fabric (purple stripe).  

Next fold the entire rectangle in half the long way with the primary fabric sandwiched in the center.  Sew each of the ends across, trim the seam and press.  This will form a triangle pocket at each end of the runner.  Next, sew a button to close each triangle pocket, press one more time and ta-da, you have created a 15 minute table runner!

 


These are the two adorable table runners created by JoyX3 (a.k.a. Lori, Heather & me) last weekend.


My peeps in our matching owl-tactic PJ's.


2 comments:

Lori said...

Awesome!! We rock. What a fun project. I'm headed to the fabric store tomorrow to pick up some fabric. I think I need to make more :)

Heather said...

I love being Owl-Tactic with my sister-chicks! That table runner is the best project ever! Pretty sure I will do these for Christmas gifts this year. Better start now! I love how this turned out! The buttons are perfect.