Thursday, February 18, 2010

The odd ball

Ever had that feeling of being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Of just not fitting in? Being the odd ball? The third wheel? The odd man out? I am thinking my hibiscus plant, which recently sprouted forth a couple of large, vibrant orange & pink blooms has got to be feeling a bit like that.
The blooms are absolutely gorgeous, but look very out of place in the middle of February, in our snow packed MN environment in the dead of winter.
I wonder what possessed this plant to put forth its luscious, showy flowers, now of all times? Especially given the view it has looking out the patio window of the frozen tundra...

in the backyard and of the patio packed with several feet of snow??

Maybe it can be summed up as HOPE. Hope for Spring, just a few short months away. It sure brightens my day every time I see the beautiful, brilliant color, as odd and out of place as it is. And I thank God for this Blessing... this ray of hope.

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

Unfortunately, I often feel like that. Hope is a good thing for sure!

Lori said...

What an awesome little plant you have there. Just when you are about to submit to cabin fever...a little ray of hope pops out to help you hold on. It is so beautiful. Almost as good as being somewhere tropical...ok...not really...but it is a pretty flower.

Kathy said...

It is beautiful! My Mom had a poinsettia that she kept from 2008 all year...turn for Christmas and it was gorgeous. I've never seen that before. She was very proud as any Green Thumb Girl should be!