Thursday, July 30, 2009

Growth and wisdom

Milestones have a way of making me reflect on things. This past week marks the 1st anniversary of my Grandma Ruth's passing. In Grandma's honor, I received a beautiful rose bush from my dear BFF, Kathy. Steve worked to help me create a new flower bed in August of last year in our backyard where I planted this rose bush. Last October, my girls and I sprinkled some of Grandma's ashes in the flower bed which made me feel like she was a part of it all.
Just like my flower garden, I have grown and matured over the past year. I feel like I am wiser in many ways including being more appreciative of what I have and not taking it for granted. I have experienced so many blessings from God including the continued love and support of my wonderful husband, watching our adorable daughters grow and mature, the support & camaraderie of amazing friends, physical health to meet my goals and the mental strength to handle disappointments.
I can't really take a picture and compare the changes in me to show the differences from last year to this year. Well.... maybe I could and you would see a few more wrinkles and pounds, but it wouldn't show the wisdom gained and the way experiences and relationships over the past year have shaped and effected me.

Maybe I'll just show some pictures of the flower bed created in Grandma Ruth's honor and how it has changed and evolved over the past year. Those who know me know I really like analogies.
August 6, 2008... grass was removed and landscaping bricks were being added.
By mid-August, 2008... topsoil had been put in and the memorial rose bush planted along with other perennials.
BEFORE: Completed flower bed on August 17, 2008
AFTER: View on July 30, 2009

The plants and flowers have grown and filled in.
This flowerbed will continue to change and evolve just like me. I'll need to work on my weaknesses (the weeds) and cultivate relationships (the fertilizer) so that I can gain wisdom and inner beauty (flowers). All I need is sun (God & his Son) and my family & friends (water).

3 comments:

the mom~ said...

I love it! It looks awesome! And I love your analogies ;)

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing that. I am so thankful that you are a part of my life. You always have such good advice. What a beautiful way to remember your Grandma. Special ladies seem to run in your family.

Anonymous said...

I cried and cried when I read this....thank goodness that you know me well enough to know that I'm always about 30 days behind in my emails. I only had 130 when I signed on this evening. I loved seeing the pictures and I'm so thankful that your Grandma lives on in your heart and in your garden. Glad to be there with such a wonderful woman.

Love ya!